Cowl_20050814_05.jpg Here's lookin' at you, babe.
Cowl_20050814_01.jpg Openings for Cabin Heat, Cabin Air, and Carb fresh air supply. This is open all the way under the engine. I will dam it off at the back of the engine if there appear to be any cooling problems.
Cowl_20050814_02.jpg This area will have baffle seals up against the cowling. This shows the air inlet screen. This is two pieces of stainless screen and that is all I plan to use unless I discover a reason to add more filtering.
Cowl_20050814_03.jpg That opening looks a little rough, so I made this little inset. The cowling would not go on, if this lip were made as a permanent part of the cowling.
Cowl_20050814_04.jpg So here it is, installed. I will fair it all in so it will look like part of the cowling.
Cowl_20050814_06.jpg

There is still a lot of work to do with filling and sanding.

Our plans are to take her to the airport on September 1, 2005. If the cowling isn't totally finished, well, it will get done when it gets done.

Cowl_20050814_07.jpg

There is now nothing that is keeping us from moving to the airport, except the repainting of the area where the surgery was performed for the fuel tank problems, and I am working on that now.

DCP_1426.JPG Getting ready for the air supplies. The blue circles are where I am thinking of putting holes for cabin heat and fresh air. I am going to get carb air from the center of that slit. That also provides cooling for the underside of the engine. I am thinking that I may also be able to steal the heat and fresh air from either side of that area, also.
Cowl20050525_01.jpg This cowl was a little short. The rough stuff you see is where I extended it.
Cowl20050525_02.jpg You can see here that I had to completely rebuild the bottom as there was not enough room down there to hold everything. It is still tight.
Cowl20050525_03.jpg However, I think it is going to really look great and as you can see, it is a good fit.
CowlFitting_20050313_02.jpg I made a template to mock up the space taken by the spinner and clicoed the front of the cowling to it.
CowlFitting_20050313_022.jpg I trimmed a piece of flashing and taped it to the cowling mounting flange on the firewall. I then pop riveted the flashing to the cowling.
CowlFitting_20050313_023.jpg To be sure that it all stayed in a straight line, I pulled the lower aft edge of the cowling in, to simulate a straight line to the firewall. This was done using safTwire and a twister tool to take up the slack.
CowlFitting_20050313_03.jpg I then realized that I needed to be sure that my glass work would not stick to the tape, and remembered Mark L. mentioning that nothing sticks to duct tape. So I replaced the regular tape with duct tape.
CowlFitting_20050313_04.jpg Then it was time to get ready for glassing in the gap. I drew the pattern of both the narrow and wide piece on one sheet of plastic and transferred the narrow one to another piece.
CowlFitting_20050313_05.jpg I could have done both layers at once, but I wanted to be sure that they were both lined up correctly. I drew an outline of the pattern on the glass and cut it off the roll of cloth. Notice that it must be larger than the pattern.
CowlFitting_20050313_07.jpg I almost forgot to make my alignment marks. And as you will see later, I made them on the part of the plastic that will be cut off, so had to remark as I was cutting out the wet out glass.
CowlFitting_20050313_08.jpg There was a gap where the flashing met the cowling, so I filled that with micro. I wanted to be sure that the glass had something to stick to.
CowlFitting_20050313_09.jpg The first layer of glass is in place. Now all I have to do is peel off the plastic and make sure that it is stuck to the surface. Final smoothing is done after the second layer is on.
CowlFitting_20050313_10.jpg Second layer has been applied and the leftover micro and resin was used to smooth out the remaining bumpy areas. The heaters are on to get it a good kick start on curing.
CowlFitting_20050313_11.jpg While this is only the base surface, I think it is going to have the lines that I have been trying to achieve.